We all have those places in our homes that we dread cleaning out… some of the more common ones are the garage and the basement. (And attic!) Unfortunately, these spaces tend to be the ones that get neglected the most often and become a breeding ground for we storage of stuff the we don’t necessarily want and definitely don’t need- but can’t quite seem to part with either. My Dad came over today and we attacked the garage together! Here are some tips when taking the plunge to clean out your garage.
1. Get everything out! It’s much easier to see everything, easier to sweep/clean the garage of dirt, dust, leaves and spider webs when everything is out.
2. As you’re bringing your stuff outside- we brought everything out onto the driveway- separate it into piles.
-stuff we are getting rid of (we’re going to have a tag sale this weekend, and anything that doesn’t sell is going to Goodwill)
-stuff I’m keeping that goes into house or car or other area, not the garage
-stuff I’m keeping that goes back into the garage
– also throw out all trash and recycling as you go!
3. Have some clean rags around to dust off items and shelving as you go.
4. Be ruthless about letting things go. Do you really need that croquet set that you’ve never used? Remember, if you’re about to store something out of sight, think long and hard, again, if you really need said item.
5. Once garage is empty, sweep it out using a large push broom. Don’t forget all the corners!
6. As you begin to put items back into the garage, pick spots thoughtfully and slowly. Decide what makes the most sense to have where.
7. Utilize wall space and hooks and hang things vertically whenever possible.
8. Group like items together- gardening tools, potting soil, planters… you get it
9. Try to envision your cars being parked in the garage and do your best not to store anything that would be in the way of getting your car in and out. (We usually park in the driveway, but it’s ideal to have your spot carved out all the time, both for practicality and for de-clutteredness…
Some before pics…
Tomorrow starts the basement… eeeeee!